Sunday, April 19, 2015

Happy Vasectomy Day!

       So my blessed little Charleigh Joe just turned 4, how time flies. I was fortunate enough to be able to enjoy the fact that I was exposed to both sexes of children as she was the last of our four and surprised us with her gender.  We never found out the gender of any of our children were, it was like the last great Christmas gift that wasn’t hidden with the rest.  The one that you couldn’t quite get unwrapped enough to identify.
       My husband felt like this was it, that four children made our family complete.  He decided to get a vasectomy, and I was agreeable, it was easier than me getting a tubal. 
I was very pregnant and I accompanied him to the urology office just 3 days before our precious bundle of joy was due to arrive.  My husband, normally quite shy, was beside himself with anxiety. 
       Once we were in a room, the nurse presented with instructions for him to get undressed from the waist down and lie down on the table. Already visibly upset, it only got worse when his pant less torso lie freezing on the bed. It didn’t help that the pretty young nurse didn’t like the shave job that I had performed at home.  As she revamped the ‘do that I had previously styled, my husband had apparently reached the zenith of his anxiety and ask for a drape to be put up.  The nurse kindly obliged and shortly the doctor came in and gave him some IV Valium. 
       Soon after his injection, I slowly began to watch his body loosen up and eventually began the rhythm of a regular, soft snore. He only briefly roused up when the doctor came in and began his procedure.  It only took around 30 minutes to render my man safely sterile. 
       About halfway through the procedure, the pretty young nurse left our room and another, more mature nurse came in to assist the doctor. Jeremy never even roused until the procedure was finished. While taking down the drapes, I got up to assist my husband to a sitting position, he quizzically looked up at the nurse and having noticed the change for the first time from the pretty, young thing to a more mature nurse ask me, “how long have I been asleep”?


       Happy Vasectomy Day to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment