Saturday, August 24, 2013

So today was one of those days when you just don't want to not get dressed? Well, it's 5:30pm and I'm still in my gown. Yes, I said gown. I am one of those people under 60 and still continent who still wear the gown. I say continent, but after 4 children and a life of "hands on nursing" when you lug, tug, and pull all day, I really guess I should say not totally incontinent. I have come to realize that people are really particular about their nighttime attire and I include myself in that category. 

 I have always been a gown wearer, I like the freedom from pant legs twisting and turning, one less thing to pull off when I make one of my 50 or so trips to the bathroom, and its a one piece item. I realize that even my subconscious is trying to help me find ways of reducing the laundry.

 I have realized that my age category is more of a T-shirt and sleep shorts generation, not because I make a point of asking, but because of the abundance of these items in stores. There are the teenage girl sets, "dorm age" girl sets,the sexy newlywed, mid 30's reality sets in "I'm never getting married", "fall asleep on the couch" doesn't mean we are sleeping together sets,  and finally the "Winnie the Pooh and his honeypot" sets for the big girls. Next time you're out look and see, trying to find just the right gown for me can be tricky. By availability, I also conclude that only old people wear gowns, but those people are generally well off or in a trailer park.  When I find one I like, its like Christmas when you're 5 and you open the Strawberry Shortcake doll you ask Santa for, and for a brief moment you KNOW he is real.

 I have traditionally only gotten an new gown for the birth of my children. Mothers realize that it is important to look your best even after you have labored for hours and lost notable amounts of blood to deliver a child.  After all this work, you try to take a shower, fix your hair, perhaps apply a touch of make up and slide that fresh gown over your head. You perch yourself up in the bed and wait for the onslaught of visitors to darken your door and admire how great you look after delivering the world's most beautiful baby.  Its not for awhile that you notice that once the child is born, no one ever looks at you and your new gown. They all want their picture taken with the baby, so be prepared to relish in that fresh cotton garment, hopefully pre-laundered in Gain powder (original scent) and realize, its ok. You have a new gown to keep you happy.

So now you're thinking, so she only has 4 gowns (4 children), and the answer is yes. Until yesterday, when I was at TJ Maxx and found my new child. Cotton gauze, 3/4 length sleeves, mid calf length in a fresh gray color, it fit like it was made for me. I rushed to line at the checkout and it was everything I could do not to start sliding it on when I got to the car. I went and got my nails done with my friend Deborah (she's got a pretty tight package and I bet she still wears sexy shit to bed) and as soon as I got home, on with the gown. It was perfect. It was like when the royal baby was delivered. I felt like the prettiest fat girl in the world, I swear it even made me look slimmer. 

 Oh that Anne Klein, she must wear gowns too.

No comments:

Post a Comment