Sunday, December 29, 2013

In Memory of Tina Turner and Oprah Joe Neville, we will always love you.

       Oh wow, what a whirlwind the past 2 days have been. I have been told by numerous people the best way to get over the sadness of a lost dog was to get another….I really tried to take that to heart and give it some thought. In the meantime, Jeremy and I have been looking at pictures and profiles of rescue animals in our neighboring areas, just in case.
        Never did I imagine that I would actually act on my instinct and consider adopting yet. I was wrong. Friday afternoon I found my car driving to the Putnam County animal shelter to “look” at a dachshund mix named “Flower”. I knew as soon as I saw her she was right for our family.
       I adopted her on the spot and a few minutes later, the paperwork was completed and we were ready to leave. Casually the gentleman at the animal shelter mentioned that they hated to split them up, but that she needed to be in a home….What, split “them” up?
       He explained that she had a sister that had been surrendered the same day, “Bambi”. Great, now I have broken up the family. More guilt, more overeating, join the club. I gathered up my half of the broken home and headed for the car. I carefully put her in the car and drove home.
       The children were a bit overwhelming but _______
seemed to handle the attention well. She was perfect for our family, she loved the attention, and was not too high energy. She was housebroken and slept all night without a whimper.
       I got up early the next morn for a scheduled case and she was whimpering….I knew the reason. I had thought about it all night. I had separated her from her sister. I knew I had done something wrong. I had no idea how I was going to afford to get her sister but I had to find a way to get her.
       I worked all morning and everyone was congratulating me on my new member. I told them of her sister that I had to leave behind. One of my coworkers, “Vicki” heard the story and immediately stepped up and offered up the money to get her sister.
       At first, I told her no. I even said no after she said she had planned on making a donation to an animal shelter anyway. I finally caved in and told her that if she truly wanted to, I would take the money and get her sister before she was adopted out to someone else.
       My heart was racing, it seemed like it was the longest case in the world…I was so excited. I called the shelter ahead of time and told them that I would be there to get her and not to adopt her to anyone else. I hoped that they would spread the message, but I was still so scared.
       Meanwhile, I kept checking at home making sure that all was well on the home front. Have you ever heard that women who are always together will tend to ovulate at the same time? Well, after this many stay home day, Jeremy has converted to playing video games and eating peanut butter sandwiches….
       I was sitting at the computer charting when my phone started hammering away with Jeremy calling. I could not take the call and I text him. We had a real problem. Our new dog _______, had killed our female bird Tina Turner Neville.
       Holy shit. How did this happen? Jeremy left the cage open (as we always had) and Tina flew out. Before Jeremy could get to her, _______ had killed her. I felt like a CIA operative: who saw it, have you told anyone, is there any collateral damage, did you close the cage and put it up?
       Now what to do, the children would certainly notice the absence of Tina…..and how to explain what happened? _______ is an animal who did what animals do. I was not angry with her, I was trying to solve the problem. I made a plan, on my way to the shelter, I would stop at PETCO and get another green bird.
       No one at PETCO was in any hurry. I only found one female green parakeet in the HUGE cage at PETCO! Really, one? I finally found a person to help and got out of there as quickly as I could. I made it to the shelter and was holding _______’s sister as soon as I got there. Thankfully they had remembered me and the message had been passed out. As I was waiting to sign the papers, 2 other people came in to adopt her. I am so lucky I got there when I did.
       Her sister had no idea that she would soon be reunited with her and when we pulled up they were like peas and carrots again. Jeremy had been thinking and found the perfect names. Celie and Nettie, from the Color Purple. Two sisters who were apart for a while and reunited.
       Now, while the children were engaged with the dogs, Jeremy replaced the bird to its cage and hid the PETCO box she came in. He buried Tina in a grave next to Oprah. We now have a family plot.

       All has been well, the girls are well loved and seem happy. The new Tina seems to really, really like Ike. I caught them together in the biblical way….. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment