Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.


 Well, it’s here. The night that all parents and children alike look forward to and dread at the very same time. Christmas Eve is here and I hope everyone is prepared. I am exhausted. I have done all that I can to make it the best Christmas that I can provide. Someone will be disappointed, it is as predictable as mounds of trash created in just one day. I cannot prevent it.
Today was our Christmas dinner at my mother’s house. I could not attend due to work obligations. I was called in just as we were about to leave and I worked 7 or so hours and came home. I was so hungry from missing both lunch and supper and I just wanted to eat something. No one even brought me home a plate….not a single slice of ham or dollop of potatoes. When I ask Jeremy about my plate, I really thought he was kidding….I guess not.
I wrapped a few last minute gifts while we waited for Santa to call. He calls our house every Christmas Eve to tell the children to go to bed or he won’t stop at our house. They talk about other things, but that is really why he is calling. That was my idea years ago, I don’t regret that one…
Of all the years and all the calls, this year was different. Jeremy had Santa on speakerphone and as soon as he said “ho,ho,ho” the very first time, my Charleigh Joe’s eyes lit up like roman candles! She was so excited. She just chatted him up just like she was greasing a pig. Jeremy and I stared at her because unlike everyone else in this house, she is NOT a talker. Apparently something changed today, I like it.
In the midst of all the planning, shopping, and decorating lies all the memories we are making for our children. They remember things and I want my children to remember the good times during the Christmas season. For instance, it was snowing when I woke up this morning, I was so excited. I love snow and especially snow on Christmas that wasn’t forecasted! Deep down inside I’m a softie…
Why these things are important to me, I don’t know- but they are. So when my husband stays up extra late to play Santa and even braves the harsh cold night to transport bikes from across the road, it makes me proud to be his wife and the mother of his children. He is a great man and one that I don’t deserve. My oldest children Matthew and Wyatt know the truth about SC, and yet they help me get the younger 2 hyped up about his coming on Christmas Eve. They are all great kids.
The looks on their faces in the morning will be priceless. I can’t wait for them to see what Santa brought. I will be cooking up a big meal of many different kinds of pork and carbs. I have never met a pig I didn’t like. Biscuits and chocolate gravy, sausage links, sausage patties, bacon, eggs to order, muffins, and pancakes are on the menu. I hope to feed them enough that they must go back to bed as soon as possible.
I had invited a guest, we will call her “Debbie” to our Christmas breakfast as she is fairly new in town and I happen to like her and want her to meet my family. She told me tonight that she couldn’t come tomorrow because she had “a lot of things to do”. Wow, that hurt. I guess I will get Matthew to help me take the 2nd leaf out of my table and put it away as I guess I will not need it after all.
I can’t wait for the huge mounds of paper and torn ribbons. The trash man won’t love us this week but I don’t care. I want everyone to have a great Christmas. A Muslim friend of mine called me this evening to ask me a medical question about his child. He said that he had tried to call the doctors office and they were closed today and tomorrow. I answered his question and explained that they were probably closed for Christmas. He ask me “Why you bring a tree in the house and who is that man in red?” I got tickled because my silly slow mind just assumed that everyone knew about Christmas! I explained the basics to him about Christmas and he was happy to listen but when it got to the part about the tree in the house, I was stumped. Maybe someone can educate me about that one.
Merry Christmas to all, I wish each and every person good blessings and cheer. I hope Santa left each of you exactly what you wanted, because if you are reading this you are probably NOT in jail and have done something worthy in the past 12 months; and to the asshole in his bathrobe,emptying his chemical toilet into my storm sewer.....


No comments:

Post a Comment