Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tears in Heaven




 

          Well, any of you that are on my Facebook account know what happened yesterday…. My dog, my beloved Oprah was sent to her eternal home. I say eternal home as this is only temporary (so I have heard) and I choose to believe that I will not have to make house payments forever…

          Oprah was a great dog. She was bequeathed to us from some unknown asshole who “set her out” many years ago. A full figured, aged black lab she was then and we fed her. Obviously, she was ours.  Being the wonderful witty children of my womb, the boys thought it would be funny to name this plus sized female black lab Oprah. I was so proud of them for coming up with that all on their own.

We realized that by her size she had NOT been living on the streets… She was so big she was sway backed and looked more like a calf than a dog. Nonetheless she was the perfect dog for our family who didn’t really know a lot about dogs but knew a lot about eating. We had enough in common.

          None the less we loved her and she loved us. She quickly found a spot to lie on, my new chaise lounge cushions. She promptly made a mess of them. She hated storms, and when she came in she was the perfect lady. In the end, her eyesight was so bad that she would only walk in if we put down rugs to show her the way. We had her way longer than we should have and loved her and her sway back.

          Over the weekend, her condition worsened, every movement was painful and she whimpered in pain, she did not eat or drink; she just laid there and ask me with her eyes to make it better. As hard as it was, I made the call to ease her pain. Jeremy took her and told me she did great, it only took a second and she did not suffer. On the other hand, the vet assistants (3) that it took to carry out my big and beautiful companion probably called in to work today with back injuries.

          My Oprah is in heaven. I know she is, and she is happy and thin, and everything fits her tiny waist. She lived a lifetime with us, and then she had to go.

1 comment:

  1. She was blessed to have found your family to love her. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete