Friday, October 11, 2013

The first part of my passage......


                Well, we are finally here. It ONLY took 16 hours of traveling by car, plane, and broom to get here (it’s a 12 hour drive). We are exhausted. I medicated all day just to keep from going to jail. Nothing happened as scheduled. I have experienced a lot of heartache and misery on this trip and I figured out one thing. If you take enough benzo’s, you can do anything.

            We awoke at 0300 to get up start our trip. We arrived at Nashville International Airport 2 hours ahead of schedule, just as we had been informed to do.  We were going to follow all the rules today, nothing was left to chance. We measured our suitcases so we could carry on, we measured our fluids and they were all in quart zip lock bags just as we should have. I left my samurai swords and throwing stars at home just as the website said. I was prepared, but not for what happened.

            We arrived in the airport, checked in and began the process of getting our final plans in order. I was sure there was nothing that I had not planned ahead for. I had decided that since our flight was at 0800, then I would take my medicine at 0700.

 I took my medicine and waited for the meds to “kick in”. At 0730 we were informed that our flight was delayed and I was worried that I would not be medicated enough when we actually boarded and the awful “take off moment” when I usually burst into tears. Literally lose control of my functions and begin to know that I am going to die.

            There was another direct flight leaving at 0853, so when they called for the 0853 group to line up I immediately knew there was a problem.

            Shortly thereafter we were called to the desk and informed that our flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem and we were to reschedule. My immediate thought was to tell them to fuck off, that we deserved to go on the 0853 flight instead of the losers who just showed up. My medication told me to get in line and be nice. So I did.

            After I waited in line for over an hour and the last 2 tickets for the 1100 flight to Chicago were issued to the couple right in front of me. I almost lost it. I was contemplating actually getting physical with the airline personnel. My klonopin said, “Wait Farrah Joe, see what they are going to do.”

I listened to the inner voice and they arranged for a flight from Nashville to Atlanta, and then Atlanta to Chicago Midway (I was originally booked for Nashville to Chicago O’Hare) through another airline. I agreed to the change even though it required me to experience the “take-off tears” twice instead of once.

            We immediately went over to the Delta counter and were informed that yes, we did have tickets but they were not seated together……..Really! Are you kidding me? Now I have to cry and carry on next to a stranger? The airline (behind the counter personnel) were of no help. They would not announce for the other passengers to come to the desk so I could plead for assistance in the seating arrangements. She made me beg once we were seated for someone to switch so we could be together.       

            Thankfully some nice lady agreed to switch and let Jeremy and I sit next together in the 3 seat side. I sat next to a gentleman who seemed offended at my presence and the presence of my comfort pillow. I informed him of my fear of flying and that I would probably begin crying very quickly once the plane started to taxi.

            I am proud to tell everyone that I did not shed a single tear, at either take off. I am so happy to say that my medication (redosed 3 times) worked and I was alert enough to function but also relaxed enough to make it through the trip. I thought that when we landed at Midway, our troubles were over. We were an hour and a half drive to our destination. I would be wrong.

            When we got to our rental car place, another setback. After an hour and a half of haggling over the car we reserved, we departed in our Nissan Altima, exhausted and ready for bed. My husband is a saint. I will say that again, my husband Is a saint. He was calm and reasonable the whole time. I could not have ask for anything more from him.

            We arrived at our family’s house where we were staying around 2200. We were exhausted, stumbling idiots. I could have kissed their threshold. They have made it so nice and relaxing. We slept well and were ready for the next day. Thank God for Klonopin, it kept me out of the hospital or jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment