Monday, October 14, 2013

Valuable lessons learned, some of them the hard way...

            Still at the hospital. Just woken up by Charleigh Joe’s nurse. She has a fever, Charleigh Joe not the nurse. They are sending the IV therapy team to draw blood cultures. Great. It’s 0036 and we are gonna wake up the baby for blood. Well, there goes my Ambien dose.
            I’m sleeping on a pull out bed which is not too bad. Except I have on clothes and every time that I turn over I have to readjust my clothing as one must wear pants in public, even when sleeping and especially on a children’s ward. It just looks bad, you know.
            So I am here waiting for the IV team and I decided to tell everyone all of the great things we did on our vacation.
1.       Stayed pissed off and medicated all day the first day as our flight was delayed and we were farmed out like sex workers to different flights at different times. None of them were direct.
2.      We drove 2 hours through the hood because that is what the GPS told us to do and we didn’t want to get even more lost around that area.
3.      We arrived at our final destination at around 10pm.
4.     We were introduced to some awesome 2nd cousins who are now old enough to fool with.
5.      We met some interesting dogs that had more instructions than an IKEA table.
6.      We worried and cried over the news that our baby was sick and being taken to the hospital.
7.     We worried and cried over the news that our baby was sick and being taken to the hospital.
8.      We learned that the KOHL’S in Burlington, WI has much better clearance stuff than ours in Cookeville, TN.
9.      We learned how to stuff our suitcases full of the clearance items that we acquired in the KOHL’S without having to check and additional bag for 25.oo$.
10.   We worried and cried over the news that our baby was sick and being taken to the hospital
11.   I learned that some people are shameless and selfish. As I was openly sobbing and asking for someone to please let me have their seat explaining that I had a very sick child, not one person stepped forward. The airline even offered that person 300.00 credit on any flight and yet no one stepped forward. One gentleman gave me some tissues.
12.  I learned that some airline “desk people” take a course in desensitization training. For example, I am at a desk crying and sobbing telling this gentleman about my problem and another passenger stepped forward ready to give her seat up and let me fly in her place. The airline employee calls security on me and reports a hysterical woman at his desk and sends me 3 terminals down to talk to the supervisor. Meanwhile, he quietly boards his flight along with the passenger who agreed to switch seats.
13.  I learned that wishing someone was bitten by a poisonous snake was a negative thought, but it made me feel better.
14.  I learned that seeing my baby at Vanderbilt hospital being taken care of so well was worth all the strife we had been through to get there. She smiled at me and all was forgotten.
15.  I learned that when she saw her daddy, it was more emotional than Peter coming home on Christmas morning (Christmas Folgers commercial) when she started running towards him dragging and IV pole.
16.  I learned that my mother looks like a jail inmate in disposable pants and a white t-shirt.
17.  I learned that I have some great friends who checked on, prayed for, and held my family together until and after I arrived to see my baby.
18.   I learned that there are still nurses and doctors who care about their patients.
19.   I learned that bubbles can still make someone laugh, especially adults.
20.  I learned that I have been blessed in so many ways, I could not even begin to express my thanks and gratitude for what I have been given.

With all of my new discoveries that there is still good in the world, and that makes me happy. I had resigned myself that everyone was scorned and that everything would work itself out even if I had no control over it.
I am blessed, loved, and I will never go away again.


No comments:

Post a Comment